Underwater Ice Fishing Camera
Underwater camera for ice fishing can help you in several ways. You can drill smaller test holes and insert the camera before drilling the main fishing hole.
The test hole allows you to check the area for fish before putting in too much effort. When fishing the camera can be used to watch you bait, letting you know exactly when to strike at the fish
In A Hurry?
If you do not have time to read the full article, but want to find the best underwater camera for ice fishing? Below are my recommendations! (low-end to high-end
“Ice Fishing – Only the strong will survive!”
A lot of underwater fishing cameras are not of a quality good enough for ice fishing, and they are not suited to the extremely low temperatures.
Ice Fishing Cameras need to be sturdier and made of better materials than other underwater cameras
When choosing a camera for Ice fishing, you should first consider the insulation to many of the parts of the system, mainly the monitor and the battery. Water can condense inside these which will cause them to short out, from which they may never recover. So these need to be kept as warm as possible.
Like all electrical components, they produce heat when they are switched on, so if these parts have good insulation they should work well at cold temperatures.
The camera will be lowered into icy water, so this too needs to be very well insulated from the cold. Several types of rubber and plastics can become brittle at these temperatures, and so not used. The camera unit needs to be waterproofed and insulated using synthetic materials which are more suited to these icy conditions
Because visibility underwater is much lower than in the air, the camera needs to have a larger aperture, with a high resolution, preferably with lights. This will give a better picture and allow you to see much further in the water. Infrared cameras do not work under the cold waters. Also the camera should conform to IP68, meaning that it is certified to be immersed in water without damage.
In the early ’90s, the invention of the digital camera meant that sports fishermen could get cameras to start scoping out fishing spots. Using the camera to looking for fish, or underwater objects, if it was clear enough.
Underwater cameras are most useful to ice fishermen, as the water tends to be clear. Also, a largish hole has to be bored into the ice for them to fish through. As underwater ice fishing cameras are small, fishermen can now drill smaller “Spy Holes”, where the camera can be inserted to look for fish, before the drilling the fishing hole.
Underwater Ice Fish Camera Example
Things To Consider When Buying An Ice Fishing Camera
An underwater ice fishing camera consists of more than just a camera. The full unit consists of Camera, Lights, and Display, which are connected by cables and powered by the battery. All of these must be considered when looking to buy an ice fishing camera.
When I mention an “underwater ice fishing camera”,I am referring to the unit as a whole, not just the “camera part” of it
Ideally, you want a camera that is shaped like something that would not look out of place under the ice, maybe the exterior could look like a fish or something. So that it can blend into the scene as smoothly as possible, without alerting the fish too much.
The quality of the picture sent back by the unit will affect the price of the ice fishing camera. If you want a very detailed image of what is under the ice, with superfast contrast, then you are going to need a high resolution camera. These are also required if you are thinking about recording what you see under the ice.
The size and quality of the screen will be one of the things that will affect the price of the unit that you buy. If you want a top-quality view of the fish that are below you then you are going to need a good display. If however you just want to know where the fish are, and once you know that, you have little interest in looking under the ice, then a lower quality screen is all that you require.
The size and brightness of the screen are going to affect the life of the battery. So be sure that the unit has a good battery if the screen is going to be large, bright, and being used a lot.
You do not want to go much smaller than a 7 inch screen for your ice fishing camera, which should be touch-sensitive, or have controls under it so that you can quickly make adjustments to the setting, picture, lights, etc.
The display on the camera for ice fishing usually acts as the control as well, so you want to quickly be able to make adjustments, with a single hand if possible, so as your fishing is not disturbed
You will probably not have the option to recharge your battery when you are out on the ice. For this reason, you want a good-sized battery that will last most of the day. You do not want to be changing location, and find out that the battery is dead and you can do any recon of the new holes.
Do not just rely on the battery size when deciding which ice fishing camera to buy. As mentioned above, the screen and camera quality will drain batteries at different rates. Look at the reviews to get a feel of the battery durations, and how long the manufacturers say the unit will function on a full charge.
Some of you are going to want to record the action, and upload it, or show it to your friends. If this is the case you are going to need a camera with a higher resolution, and a base unit (screen) that can take an SD card to record the video on. Similar to an ordinary camera, the SD card can be taken out and inserted into a laptop to access your recorded videos.
You will probably also want a good quality screen so that you can see what you are recording
The lights on the ice fishing camera are optional. But if you do have them, they will allow you to see a greater distance should the water be murky. It also means that the unit can be used for night fishing as well.
Lights may also attract fish to the area where you are fishing! (more information can be found here )
You want a cable that is not so short that it can’t go down to the depth at which you want to fish, while at the same time not being overly long as to add a lot of weight to the ice fishing camera.
Most units come with a decent length cable for most situations, but should you want to go fishing in very deep water, you may want to consider changing the wires for some of sufficient length.
The weight of the ice fishing camera unit will come down to a few factors, like the size and quality of the unit. You want this to be as light as possible, as it is one of the things that you may have to carry some distances at times.
Some of the more expensive units weigh less, and are sturdier, as they are made from better quality, lighter materials
The case that the ice fishing camera comes in is important too. It needs to be durable, waterproof, and as small/light as possible. As I am sure you are aware, it needs to protect the unit, without getting in the way.
Price / Warranty
These are obvious, the Ice Fishing camera must be affordable by you, and you want as long a warranty as possible. When buying your fishing gear, you need to buy good stuff. However, some people are on a budget.
I will recommend cameras for every income.
Underwater Ice Fish Camera Example
Budget underwater ice fishing camera
“Well complete underwater camera”
- 🐟【Perfect for Carp Predator and Sea Fisherman】- Use the D1 Fishing Camera to capture underwater video (records in HD 1280 X 720) while casting, trolling and bottom fishing in lakes, rivers, and sea. D1 has an AVI cycle recording (3 minutes) function, which can catch each follow, strike, and hit by underwater lives.
- 🐟【Highly waterproof Rechargeable Battery】- D1 can be used up to 20m (~65ft) depth and a built-in 1360mA polymer battery contributes to an up to 4-hour video recording time when the battery is fully charged. When contacted the computer, you can clearly see the fish biting bait, more fun for fishing.
- 🐟【Light Weight Design】 -The hydrodynamic design and lightweight (88g/3.1oz) of D1, balances both stability and floating features underwater. The Fishing camera is also mini and portable, Which is very convenient for you to carry anywhere you want.
- 🐟【Night Recording and Expandable Memory】- A built-in yellow LED light（won't scared fish） at one end of D1 is applied for fill-in illumination in dark environments, which allows users to shoot videos at nights. TF/Micro SD card up to 32G provides enough space and for a couple of hours videos.
- 🐟【Designed for Underwater Fishing】- It fits pockets or buckle box easily, applying for fishing at a dock, on a boat, or even on the ice. Using D1 Fishing Camera to explore the subsea and see the underwater landscape, you will definitely get an unexpected fun when you fishing. It's ideal for sea fishing, ice fishing, lake fishing, boat fishing, and other underwater adventures.
Mid range ice fishing camera
“Good ice fishing camera (central Minnesota)”
- 🐋【7" Color LCD Monitor】: This underwater video fishing camera has a 7 inch large TFT color screen with HD 800*480 Pixels and removable sun-visor ideal for bright environments
- 🐋【HD 1000TVL camera】: The definition of the camera is up to HD 1000TV lines, which is clearer than the 800TV lines camera.
- 🐋【With 12pcs Infrared LEDS】: With 12pcs IR LED Lights, fishes will be seen more clearly in the dark environment. Please note: the image will turn to black and white if you open the infrared light.
- 🐋【Equiped with Carrying Case】: The waterproof suitcase is mini and portable, Which is very convenient for you to carry anywhere you want.
- 🐋【Up to 8 Hours Working Time】: The continuous using time of the lithium battery can up to 8 hours when the battery is full charged.
Mid range underwater fishing line camera
- PROFESSIONAL FISHING FINDER: this fish finder includes 2 parts: underwater camera and HD LCD monitor, it's a good partner for those who like sea fishing or ice fishing, this machine helps you to monitor the fish and to observe the underwater topographic, you can see clearly if the fish bite the hooks or not
- IP68 UNDERWATER CAMERA: with 15m special waterproof, cold-resistant and anti-pressing cable, HD 1000TVL fishing camera can reach the deep sea and can hold up to 30kg pull, the camera equips with some infrared LED lamps, which provide highlight night light; the image sensor chip is adopted with 1/3.6 inch and 440,000 pixels, it ensures clear and color image, cmos sensor, low-level lighting is 0.01Lux
- MULTI-FUNCTION LCD MONITOR: portable high resolution LCD fish monitor has sun visor and highlight LED backlight, can be used under the sun, HD 3.5in LCD display comes with multiple functions such as: 3x digital zoom, low battery reminder, high fidelity video output, power saving mode
- WIDE APPLICATIONS: sturdy and durable depth finder can be used in various fishing activities, it has long standby time, the using time of the lithium battery is up to 8 hours after a full charge; bring on underwater fishing camera for sea fishing, ice fishing, lake fishing, boat fishing, kayak fishing and you will become the champion fisherman; it's also a perfect gift to your fisher and friends or family who like fishing
- PRODUCT WARRANTY: All our products have passed FCC, CE, RoHS certificate, we guarantee all products we sell with high quality, we provide 365 days warranty, 45 days return, 24 hours customer service, we will try our best to serve each customer well
High End best ice fishing camera
“Good stuff, Easy to use”
- 5 inch widescreen flat panel 16:9 aspect ratio, Hi res color LCD
- Camera, cmos sensor, Darkwater LED and Infrared lighting
- 90 degree field of view with color kill
- 50 foot camera cable and on screen battery status, lithium battery w/6 hours of run time
- Display adjustments, brightness, contrast sharpness
Underwater Ice Fish Camera Example
Tips for Choosing the Best Ice Fishing Camera
These are the three most important questions when buying one of these Cameras
1. How clear will the water be? Many general underwater cameras say that they can be used for ice fishing, they are really made for fishing in the clear waters of lakes. It is better to buy a specialized camera that has been designed for icy conditions first. They may cost a little more, as they have to deal with such cold temperatures, but they will work better and last longer than the generic cameras
2. How often will you use the camera? You do not want to spend a lot of money on an Ice fishing camera setup, if you are only going to use it once every three years. Also, you do not want to buy a camera that is going to die after being left in storage for the summer. You need to think about how useful and how much use you will get from it, before you decide on the camera that you are going to buy
3. How important is the quality of the picture? This factor affects the price the most. If you just want to know where the fish are, and looking at them is not so important, a lower-quality system will do.
If however, you want to be able to see the fish clearly, record the action for later upload to social media. Or if you will use the camera for other things, inspecting the bottom of your boat, checking your dock underwater for any deterioration, then you will want a much better picture.
Ice fisherman’s view of an underwater camera
Ice fisherman’s view of an underwater camera (Video Above)
Hello guys, today we’ll be talking about an underwater fishing camera.
Well they call it an underwater fishing camera but I guess it can be used for several things. You can use it to inspect the bottom of your boat, and you can use it to look at the underwater topography. I guess it can be used for countless things, but we’ll talk about the gadget itself.
It’s quite well protected, portable, easy to transport, an excellent sturdy lock. There are a number of models. I chose mine primarily because of this particular model has a flip-out screen shade. The screen itself is protected with these shades. Now, anybody that has used an LCD device in the Sun, will sympathize with the fact that you can have problems seeing the screen.
That’s why I chose this model. It comes well packed as a manual in English, decent English if I may add. Good packaging, a wall charger for lithium-ion batteries. It charges with a thousand milliamp, so I guess the battery is litho.
The manual says 4500 milliamps, and 7 to 12 hours use. When it’s running the camera, and the screen that less time. That is left to be verified when I test it. Note the weight of the screen quickly makes it tip, so your battery is actually your ballast to hold it up.
The camera itself according to the manual, is supposed to be 800 by 600 resolution. It’s supposed to be a CCD camera, so it’s a quite good resolution.
It’s completely waterproof, and it has some lighting that should give a very clear picture. According to the manual up to 3 meters from the lens, well that’s again left to be verified.
The camera itself is sturdy, quite a firm build. These little loops here, I guess they’re to secure your wires and secure your fishing line as you dip it into the water. The loop at the bottom is to secure a weight of some sort. The weight means that you don’t just float around without control of depth in the water.
This is a little arm in front of the camera, and you can secure a lure, or fish hook, or whatever you want to attract the fish. It comes with this little spool of wire, and it’s supposed to be 30 meters long. So I should be able to lower this 30 meters into the water.
This suits me fine, because most of the areas I fish are within that range. That’s about what you get in the Box.
I think I should power it up so you can get a look at it! I’ll just start with putting the AV connections and the battery.
The screen is actually quite sharp. One little detail is you cannot control the lights on and off and the camera. That would have been smart if you could, but I guess you can’t get everything for this price
The camera is quite sharp, and the image is quite good. I’ll just try to focus a little bit more on the screen so that you can get a good look at it. Now I’ll just flip the camera around a little bit, you can see the image is actually not bad, and the camera kind of compensates.
When I point the camera to light, you can’t see for a few milliseconds, and then it adjusts itself, it gets a better image. When I point to a darker area, it adjusts itself again, which is actually quite good.
If you require more information, please check these references
What To Use For An Underwater Camera , article, “www.reddit.com”, retrieved on, Fri 23-August-2019
What Is The Best Underwater Fishing Camera , article, “www.quora.com”, retrieved on, Fri 23-August-2019
Ice Fishing , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Fri 23-August-2019