Radio Controlled Bait Boat
RC Bait Boat (RC – Radio Controlled), or RC Fishing Boat as they are sometimes known, can be a handy tool when fishing. Obviously they can drop your bait with a high degree of accuracy, some distance from the shore. But there are other uses:
- Casting with accuracy by delivering your line from the boat
- Attaching a Fish Finder and scouting the area
- Connecting a line and fishing from the RC bait boat
They have also attracted some controversy, as some people think of them as “cheating.” Read my complete guide to remote control fishing boats below!
We also have 6 great ideas to improve the use you get from your Radio Controlled Bait Boat
In A Hurry?
If you do not have time to read the full article, but want to find the best RC bait boat? Below are my recommendations! – two reasonably priced and a highend model
“RC Bait boats can increase the number of fish caught!”
A Radio Controlled Bait Boat can help you a lot when fishing. It has several uses, and dropping your bait precisely where you want it to be is just the first!
What is a Bait Boat and Why Are They Useful?
An RC Bait Boat (RC – Radio Controlled) is a small boat (approx. 18-24 inches long – 45-60cms) that is designed to make fishing easier. Instead of dispersing your bait by hand, you now put it into the boat and drop it in the exact location that you want.
The boat is driven very easily with a remote control. This is the same as any radio-controlled boat, the only difference being that it has 1 or 2 “tip” buttons for dumping its loads into the water.
The main advantage of a boat over throwing the bait manually, is that you do not miss your target, and use less bait. As less bait is required it is concentrated in a smaller area, attracting fish to this there, and to your hook
Another advantage is the distance the boat can travel. You can quickly put bait and your line into the best fishing spots. These may be too far from the shore to accurately cast. A good starter model should have a range of at least 500 yards (400 meters)
More high end models (or basic models with some modifications – see later in this article), may have fish finders, echo sounders or GPS. This would allow you to map the area, and to locate fish, in far less time than it would if you mapped out the area manually.
The Bait Boat Debate – Is It Cheating?
Bait boats have in general split the fishing world, some people love them, and others hate them. There arguments for and against. The positives have been mentioned, but to summarize:
- Precise placement of bait
- You can drop your hook in places impossible to cast
- Live bait can be placed without damage that would occur casting
The arguments against RC bait boats are
- They remove the need for skill. Casting accuracy is no longer needed
- If there are several bait boats on a stretch of water, they can get in the way
- They can be abusive, taking the bait a long way and using the entire lake
In general, I would say that using a remote control fishing bait boat is not cheating. Yes it does give you some advantage, but most anglers have equipment that others do not. Some people have better rods and reels that are too expensive for the average fisherman. Some have fish finders etc. The list goes on.
As long as you use the boat with respect when there are other anglers around, not disturbing their fishing, then there really should be no problem.
It’s only when one person starts acting the fool with his boat, that people get annoyed with all the bait boat uses. So, please be careful when using your bait boat!
Video: Typical Bait boat Setup and Use
What properties should you look for in an RC bait boat
When buying a Radio Controlled Bait Boat, as with anything, you should look at the specifications before deciding which to buy. Of course the more you want on your boat, the more it may cost. The following are the most important things to think about when making your choice, and what they are on a good basic model
- Price: A RC Bait Boat will cost from just over $100 for a good basic model
- Material: It is going to be in the water, so plastics are best. ABS is normally used
- Max. Speed: How fast the boat can go. 4mph on a basic model
- Remote Control: Usually 2.GHz on the basic model, some may have two frequencies
- Remote control distance: How far can you go from the base unit? About 400-600 yards on a basic model?
- Battery for the boat: Type of battery will affect the running time. 5200mAh Li typical
- Maximum usage time: How long will the boat run on a charge? 2-4 hours typically
- Charging time: How long to fully charge a drained battery? About 12h in general
- Weight: How heavy is the RC Bait Boat
- Controls: Move forward/backward, turn left/right, drop bait.
- Number of Tanks: How many independent bait tanks does it have? Generally 2
- Tank Capacity: How much can you carry in the bait boat? In general 2-3 pounds
Casting With an RC Bait Boat
With your remote control bait boat, as it is – unmodified, you do not only have to use it for dropping bait to attract the fish. You can also use it to carry your line out to the best spots, with a high degree of accuracy and drop your line in. Not only is this more precise, but you can also carry the line out much further than you could cast it.
If you have a dual-bay RC Bait Boat, you can put the bait in one of the containers and, the line in the other, so that you can position the bait close to your hook.
Should you only have the one tipping mechanism on your RC fishing bait boat, you can put the line in with the bait and take it far out and dump them into the water together, attracting fish to your line
Video: Casting from an RC Bait Boat
Best RC Fishing Boat – Upgrading
When you get your RC Bait Boat, it will come equipped with tippable trays for the bait. But it is possible to upgrade your Bait Boat so that it can help you in a lot of other ways. Six of the best bait boat upgrades we can think of are given below
1 Remote Control Fishing Boat With Fish Finder
Fish Finders as I am sure you already know, are sonar type devices that allow you to see the bottom of the river. You can look for decent fishing spots, and also, of course, detect any fish that are in the water.
There are many types available, from large ones that are fitted to boats, to smaller castable fish finders. These are cast into the water and monitored with your cell phone. It is this smaller version that can be used with your bait boat.
What you would need to do is take the wireless Fishfinder, and instead of attaching it to your fishing line, attach it to the bait boat with line. You only need about 6-9 inches.
Put the finder into the bait boats bait tipper. Then put the boat out on the water. Once the bait boat gets to the required point, just tip it into the water. This will be much more accurate than casting the fish finder into the water.
Now that the finder is attached to the remote-controlled boat, you can slowly cruise up and down the body of water. Something you would not otherwise be able to do. This allows you to find all the likely looking rocks, and other underwater features that fish love.
You can then use the bait boat to carry your line back to these spots and drop the tackle in the correct place.
Should you have a dual scoop bait boat, you can take the finder in the first scoop and your line in the second scoop. When you find the fish or a likely spot, you can immediately drop your line in. If you do this, you need to be careful that you don’t get your lines tangled!
Below is a video of a fish finder RC bait boat being constructed and used
Video: Attaching a Fishfinder to RC Boat
2 Remote Control Bait Boat With A Fishing Pole
Another interesting attachment you can get for your bait boat, is a fishing pole attachment. This allows you to go fishing directly from the back of your boat.
The thing to consider when doing this is:
· The size and power of your Bait Boat
· The size of the fish that are around.
If the fish are more powerful than the boat, it will be pulling the boat around until the fish is tired out. Should this happen – Shutdown the engine to prevent it burning out, and once the fish is exhausted, start it up again, and pull the fish to shore
Below is a video of people fishing successfully from the back of a radio-controlled bait boat.
Video: Fishing from an RC Bait Boat
3 RC Fishing Boat with Underwater Fishing Lights
Fishing lights to attract fish are usually a green color, and this light attracts fish, or part of their food chain, which then attract the larger fish. This works better in dark water, but will work in any water.
What you do is attach the lights to the bottom of the boat. It is best to connect them in a way that they can be removed again when not in use.
Turn the lights on, put the boat in the water. Then cruise out to a place that looks good for fish. Dump the bait and your line into the water, then once this is done turn off the engine. This will cause as little disturbance as possible. Leave the bait boat above the line with its lights on, rather than bring it back into shore.
The lights are battery powered so will not drain the bait boat if it’s out there a long time. The lights on the boat should help you attract more fish, for a better days catch!
Below is a video of Fish attractor lights in action
Video: Fishing With Lights Explained
4 RC Bait Boat With High Powered Lights
This is an obvious use , fit a couple of high powered waterproof torches to the side of the bait boat, pointing slightly down. These can then be used in low light, to illuminate whatever it is that you need to see.
5 RC Fishing Boat With Underwater Camera
Attaching a Bluetooth underwater camera to the bottom of your RC bait boat will allow you to see what is under it. This will let you to look for fish, rocks and any underwater items that may make good fishing areas.
You can then watch your line on your phone, and when a fish is going for your bait, strike at precisely the right time.
With a camera attached to the boat, you can also video all of the action, to upload to social media, or show to your friends. People will never disbelieve the size of the one that got away again!
WiFi Bait Boat Camera Kit Bait Drop Underwater Live Video
6 Bluetooth GPS
Having a GPS on your RC bait boat means that you will be able to take your boat to precisely the same spot again and again. So, once you have been baiting a specific area for a while, you will always be able to drop your line in the right place.
If you had fished some waters before, or used a fish finder to locate great fishing spots, the GPS would mean you can always re-find the best places to fish
Product Summary For Recommended RC Bait Boats & Accessories
These are my recommended RC Bait Boats
- 【Boat body】 Adopt high quality ABS material to inject molding, more stable and firm which can against the strong wind and wave, great outlook, exquisite workmanship and quality.
- 【Super large capacity baits tank】 Weight is 1.5kg.One time can save a lot of time. At the same time, you can attract more fish.
- 【Remote control distance】500m without the interference, signal is more stable under the clear environment.
- 【High capacity Lithium battery】which is put into the middle of the boat body and more stable, can be charged more fast and more power.
- 【Caution】Don't over-charge, or over-discharge batteries.Don't put it beside the high temperature condition. Don't throw it into water. For use in freshwater (pools, lakes, etc.); NOT for salt water (sea or ocean). Please check the product for any damage/water before each use.
- Meknic Fishing Bait Boat Adopt high quality ABS material, more stable and firm which can against the strong wind and wave, great outlook, exquisite workmanship and quality. 100% brand new,Quick Start, Easy to operate and easy to install.
- With push and pull rocker design, Meknic Boat Bait 's remote controller is simple to operate, the boat has forward, backward, turn left, turn right and nest function. 500m without the interference, signal is more stable under the clear environment.
- Meknic rc bait boat with 2pcs High capacity Lithium 5200mAh batteries which is put into the middle of the boat body and more stable, can be charged more fast and more power.
- Powerful propeller has super speed. Low noise with durable motor For Meknic fish bait boat. Huge loading two separate bait tanks which can be controlled separately.
- Meknic rd bait boat is an upgraded version, installed a power reminder light, you can easily see the remaining power.
- 1. Remote remote play nest + remote control put hook: can be freely controlled within 300m
- 2.GPS positioning system: it can accurately record fishing spots, easy to play nest and find former fishing spot , can archive 8 fishing spots
- 3. Continuous play nest tipper-hopper function, you can control the amount of playing nest at any time
- 4. sonar detection: can detect the depth of 32 meters, water drop profile, water temperature detection, underwater local amplification, fish, detection and feedback intuitively
- 5. attracting fishing lamp
Portable Fish Finder
Attach a fishfinder to your remote control fishing boat, to be able to find the best fishing spots
- Portable, cartable wireless fish finder for family trips, fishing with friends or casual anglers.
- Utilizes smart technology with Wi-Fi connectivity. No mobile data or internet required. The START generates its own Wi-Fi signal, anytime, anywhere.
- Easy-to-use Deeper App displays fish location, depth and size, water bottom contour and vegetation. Download the app for free. Deeper App has over 2 million downloads to date and is updated monthly.
- Casts out to 165 ft. and scans down to 165 ft. with 40° sonar beam for accuracy and coverage. Every scan automatically saved with time and location.
- Automatic night fishing mode, lightweight for comfortable casting, sleek design for easy reeling, 6-hour battery life with 2. 5 hour recharge. Compatible with Android and iOS devices.
RC Bait Boat Fishing Pole
Attach this ton your fishing bait boat, to be able to fish directly from the back of your boat!
- GO FISHING WITH ANY REMOTE CONTROL(r/c) BOAT!
- Can be put on any R/C BOAT
- THE ORIGINAL, NEW way to go fishing!
- Drive your bait around any lake with the push of your remote control, attach a bobber, "bammo" fish hits, line disconnects, reel it in!
- Catch Panfish, Bass, Pike, No fish is too big, the line disconnects when fish hits! We also have a good selection of R/C Boats to use too!
Underwater fish attracting lights
Attach lights that attract fish to the bottom of your RC Bait Boat, to get more fish to your spot
- 🐟Great Value - includes 4 sets kilofly premium Underwater Deep Drop Boat Dock Green LED Fishing Battery Light at unbeatable price
- 🐟Effective Lure - each underwater fishing light contains 3 high lumen LEDs that shines light 360 degree, penetrating far in the water. Made to attract crappie, catfish, redfish, predator fishes and most other fishes
- 🐟Internal Battery Powered and Battery Power Efficient - no external batteries required. Underwater fishing light is powered by 3 pieces of replaceable button batteries (button batteries included), achieving up to 72 hours working time
- 🐟Deep Drop Submersible and Portable - opening contains 3 tiers of watertight silicone rings, submersible up to 2,100 feet. Each piece weights 1.5 ounce for great portability to take it with you in every fishing trip
- 🐟Versatile - can be used to hang off docks, boats and attached to fishing lines with lures attached to itself. It's made for night fishing, day fishing, bait fishing, deep drop fishing, fresh water fishing, saltwater fishing. Compatible with other fishing gears such as fishing rig, fishing jig, fishing tackles, popping cork, light up bobber
High Lowered Lights
Attach a couple of waterproof lights to your fishing bait boat, to be able to see exactly what happens in the dark
- Brightness & Durability: High Powered, High Lumen LED chip delivers so much light for all purposes - both indoor and outdoor. Flashlight body made of aluminium alloy for durability and robustness
- Range: sweeps bright light over the length of about two football fields ( 100-300 m) and reaches nearly 1000 ft. Fully zoomable from wide to narrow beam.
- Skid-proof design & waterproof design LED bulbs, producing super bright light Perfect for cycling, climbing, camping and outdoor activity etc
- 5 Mode Arrangement: High / Middle / Low / Flash / Strobe (With a slight press of the power button changes the operating mode.)
- Package include: 2 x led flashlight,2 x charger,4 x rechargeable batteries (each flashlight is powered by 2 batteries.)
BlueTooth Underwater Camera
Attach a Bluetooth underwater camera to your RC Bait Boat, and scan riverbed for the best spots. video and watch all the action on your cell phone!!
- CAPTURE EVERY MOMENT IN HD: There is a whole world waiting for you under water. Spydros underwater fishing camera provides you with a crystal clear HD view of the mysterious creatures underneath empowering your fishing experience by capturing exciting moments to make sure they're shared and last a lifetime
- UPSCALE YOUR FISHING EXPERIENCE: Using a unique submarine and Torpedo anti-wobbling design, Spydros smart fishing camera always provides a stable aqua view of the bait. It is completely waterproof allowing you to use it for all kinds of fishing styles while keeping it safe. Spydro is bite triggered to capture the moment the fish strikes the lure
- SIMPLE, EFFICIENT and RELIABLE: When we say Spydros underwater fishing recorder is easy to use, we mean it. It turns on automatically once it gets wet, turns off after 3 minutes out of the water, starts recording automatically to the built-in SD Card while being light yet durable enough for all your adventures while maintaining the natural behavior of the lure
- MARINE GEAR PROS NEED: Whether you are Trolling, Jigging, Surf fishing, or Sports fishing, you can count on our Spydro underwater fish cam to Store, Livestream and Share HD 1080p 30 fps or 720p 60/30fps videos. It acts as a personal marine diary to record fishing water conditions (Temp, Turbidity, Salinity, Motion) to help you hone your fishing skills
- VERSATILE and FEATURE-RICH: Made by anglers for professionals, this portable fish camera offers a wide variety of videos and simple sharing options by connecting to the App. It uses infrared and illumination to allow seamless use during both daytime and night
If you require more information, please check these references
Remote Control Fishing , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Tue 03-September-2019
Radio Controlled Boat , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Tue 03-September-2019
Fishfinder , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Tue 03-September-2019
Anybody Ever Try Using A Rc Boat To Fish Before , article, “www.reddit.com”, retrieved on, Tue 03-September-2019
Angler/Fisherman Installing a Fish Finder on an RC Bait Boat
OK, guys you have a rc fishing boat, and want to attach a fish finder to it. I have bought all the gear, so the fish finder is essentially what you get in this pack. You get three pieces, you get a little screw on antenna. You’ll use this as an extension to the main antenna. The sonar is at the bottom. Then your third piece is the receiver to the screen with all the valuable information on it
So all you do is screw your Antenna into the unit, and then the sensor sonar has to sit just in the water. The sonar that sits in the water has a plastic molding. You’ve got two little metal contacts so that it only comes on when those they are in the water.
The sonar unit part of the kit, has a screw-top lid that is used to gain access to the battery. The battery is one of these disc type cells that go in a watch, only maybe a little bit bigger.
All you do is put a coin in there, twist it and take off the top. Take the old battery out and put the new one in. The unit comes supplied with a battery, which is quoted up to 500 hours.
I don’t think for one second you’ll get that, but let’s just say you got even half that – 250 hours that is a long time to operate this unit. So I’m quite impressed with that okay.
There is a suction pad there for the transmitter unit, and you’ve got a suction pad there for the lower end. All I do is simply attach this the sonar unit to the back of the remote control fishing boat. Then I put the sonar unit in one of the rc fishing bait boat trays. When the boat gets to where I want to start looking, I simply dump it into the water.
Like I say, as soon as the sonar comes into contact with water, it will instantly switch on, which is foolproof. You just have to make sure that the sonar unit is firmly attached to the RC Bait Boat. Otherwise, you will get wet retrieving your unit!
This unit here is absolutely simple to use, and it really is almost like a unit for dummies. It’s essential that you have the antenna out! If you don’t, then that will only work for about five or six meters in range.
There’s a friend of mine who didn’t even know you had the antenna on it, which is quite funny. So take the antenna out of the monitor unit, and then it’ll start up automatically. It’s telling me I’ve got no signal there that’s simply because the unit isn’t in the water.
Soon as that it’s the water, it will come, on and then you’re free to find those fish. You now have a fish finder RC boat. an RC boat with fish finder is much more useful as you can carry bait and your line and drop it once you locate the fish
The bait boat fish finder will work at a distance of approximately 500yards from the fishing boats rc unit, on an entry-level model. Much further on the higher-end models.
In a similar way, you can attach a bait boat gps to your remote control fishing boat. This allows you to monitor where the good spots are, recording there exact coordinates